Do you love eating chicken, but every time you go into the kitchen to prepare some, it always turns out to be bland? I don’t blame you.
While chicken is easy to store and cook, it is even easier to mess it up. Too little seasoning or too long on the heat, and you end up with a dry, tasteless, and extremely boring dish that no one would eat.
But don’t worry, better days are coming.
There are tons of saucy yet healthy chicken recipes waiting to make your life (and dinners) better. Mentioned below are some incredible chicken dishes that will not only return the long-lost flavor in your life but also boost your health.
Before diving into some healthy chicken recipes, you may wish to know the reason why you should be eating chicken in the first place.
- Chicken is extremely versatile. It can be used to create tons of dishes – from salads to chilis to stir-frys and soups.
- Chicken gives you a lot of room to experiment. You can try it with new sauces and spices since it holds the flavor extremely well.
- Chicken is extremely good for health. It is actually a great way to treat your body with some lean protein during the hectic weekdays.
Now that the importance of chicken has been established, let’s get to the top healthy chicken recipes for you.
Top 5 Healthy Chicken Recipes
Roasted Chicken with Fennels and Peppers
To prepare this scrumptious chicken dish, you will need the following ingredients:
- One tablespoon of fennel seeds
- Six bell peppers (orange, yellow, and red) cut into small chunks
- One tablespoon of orange zest (grated)
- 6 thinly sliced garlic cloves
- Pepper (to taste)
- Five tablespoons of olive oil
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Two lbs of chicken legs (about 4)
- Two oz of crumbled feta cheese
- Baby spinach
- Pre-heat your oven to 425°F. Take a small skillet and add orange zest and fennel seeds to it. Roast it until they turn light brown. Now transfer it to a spice grinder and blend it. Once you are done, set it aside.
- Take a big baking sheet and add garlic, bell peppers, olive oil, salt, and pepper (to taste).
- Take the chicken legs and apply some oil on them. Coat the chicken legs in the fennel-orange mixture prepared earlier. Place the legs on the baking sheet and roast it for half an hour.
- Once the chicken is golden brown and the veggies are tender, take the sheet out.
- Transfer everything from the sheet into a plate, sprinkle some feta cheese over it and serve fresh.
Parmesan-stuffed Chicken with Herbs
To make this delicious yet healthy chicken recipe, make sure you have the following ingredients at home:
- Two chicken breasts (skinless and boneless)
- One tablespoon of fresh basil (minced)
- One tablespoon of parsley (minced)
- Half a tablespoon of dill weed (minced)
- One garlic clove
- Half a cup of Parmesan cheese (grated)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Two tablespoons of grated cheese (for topping)
- Salt (to taste)
- Take a small bowl and add the garlic clove, minced herbs, pepper, and salt in it. Mix thoroughly. Take out some of this mixture to rub onto the chicken later.
- Add half a cup of cheese in the mixture and mix properly. Now, set it aside.
- Take the chicken breasts and lay them on the cutting board. Use a knife to cut the breasts in the middle. Avoid going too deep inside.
- Take the herb mixture prepared earlier and use it to stuff the chicken breasts.
- Take a skillet and add some oil to Preheat it for some time and add the chicken breasts. Rub the remaining herb mixture (that you set aside earlier) on the chicken breasts.
- Cook the chicken for about 10 minutes on each side.
- Top it off with parmesan cheese and serve hot.
Paella with Shrimp and Chicken
Paella with shrimp and chicken is a great option for a quick meal on any weekday. It is easy to make, free of gluten, and does not mess up your kitchen too much.
Here is what you will need to make this chicken recipe:
- Three tablespoons of olive oil
- Two tablespoons of white wine (optional)
- Two chicken breasts (approximately 12 oz)
- One large-sized onion (finely chopped)
- Three cups of raw shrimp
- 2 bell peppers (thinly sliced)
- Three cloves of garlic (minced)
- Three cups of chicken broth
- 28 oz of diced tomatoes
- One teaspoon of turmeric
- One cup of brown rice
- Half a teaspoon of garlic powder
- One teaspoon of paprika
- Salt and pepper
- A pinch of oregano
- Cilantro (optional)
- Chop all the onions, slice the bell peppers, and mince the garlic.
- Place the chicken breasts on the cutting board and slice them horizontally through the middle until you are able to unfold it and its width gets doubled. This what you call butterflying the chicken. Now, slice the chicken up.
- Once you are done with the chicken, defrost the shrimp and rinse them. Use paper towels to dry them. Make sure to get rid of all the excess water.
- Take a skillet, add one tablespoon of oil, and place it on medium heat. While it is heating up, use sea salt, pepper, and paprika powder to season your chicken. Put the seasoned chicken into the skillet once the oil gets heated.
- Once the chicken is cooked, take it off the heat. Now, add one more tablespoon of oil into the pan. Once it is heated, add some shrimp. Season the shrimp by adding pepper and garlic powder according to your taste. Keep cooking for a few minutes until the shrimp gets pink. Now, take them off the heat and add them to the same bowl as the chicken.
- Cook the onions and garlic in the same pan for two to three minutes. Add some white wine and keep stirring the mixture. If there is no white wine available, you may use chicken broth. Finally, add tomatoes, rice, and spices and cook it for some time.
- Once the mixture starts boiling, turn off the heat and allow it to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers as the mixture simmers.
- As the mixture reduces after 20 minutes of simmering, add the shrimp and chicken. Let it simmer for an additional 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Take out the dish in a plate and top it off with chopped cilantro.
Looking for a delicious, filling chicken recipe for your family? Chicken teriyaki is the best option you got. Served with rice casserole, this healthy yet flavorful meal is definitely going to make you crave for more.
Here is everything you need for Teriyaki chicken:
- Half a cup of water
- One-third cup of brown sugar
- Three-fourths cup of soy sauce
- One teaspoon of ground ginger
- One tablespoon of honey
- Some ground ginger
- A teaspoon full of olive oil
- Half a teaspoon of minced garlic
- Two tablespoons of cornstarch
- Two tablespoons of water
- 2 lbs of chicken breasts
- Three cups of cooked brown rice
- One cup of pineapple chunks
- Frozen mixed vegetables (around 32 oz)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix brown sugar, soy sauce, water, ginger, honey, garlic, and olive oil in a saucepan and place it on medium heat after covering it. Bring it to boil and remove the lid. Keep cooking for one more minute.
- While the sauce is boiling, mix cornstarch with two tablespoons of water in a small dish. Mix it until it forms a slurry. Add this slurry to the sauce once it boils and keeps Keep cooking until the sauce begins to thicken. Now remove it from the heat.
- Lay the chicken breasts in a casserole and pour the sauce over it. Now place it in the oven and cook it for half an hour. Then, remove the dish and shred the chicken with the help of two forks.
- Don’t forget to cook or steam the frozen veggies while the chicken is being cooked.
- Lastly, add the vegetables, rice, chicken, and pineapple in the casserole dish. Toss in the sauce and stir properly until everything is mixed properly. Place the dish into the oven and cook it for some time.
- Take the casserole out after 15 minutes and serve fresh.
- One cup of uncooked quinoa
- Three cups of chicken (diced or shredded)
- Half a teaspoon of garlic powder
- Half a teaspoon of chili powder
- One-fourth teaspoon of chipotle powder
- Half a teaspoon of seasoning salt
- A pinch of pepper
- Half a teaspoon of cumin
- Some cheese
- Green onions (sliced)
- One avocado
- Sour cream
- Tomatillo green salsa
- Toppings of your choice
- Start by cooking the quinoa according to the directions on the packet. Chop the chicken and sauté it on medium heat. Add all the seasonings as you cook the chicken.
- Prepare the toppings while you are cooking the chicken and quinoa.
- Once you are done with everything, add the quinoa into four different bowls in equal amounts. Top it with chicken and the toppings of your choice.
- Serve it immediately.
What makes this recipe appealing is that it’s extremely easy to make but does not compromise on taste or health. Mexican quinoa can be the perfect chicken dish for lazy Sundays when you do not have the energy to prepare yourself a fancy meal.
Now that you know about some extremely healthy yet flavorful chicken dishes, what are you waiting for? Get to your kitchen now and let the cooking begin!